Top Questions To Ask About Your Homeowner’s Insurance

Homeowner's insurance

When was the last time you reviewed your homeowner’s insurance coverage? As your life changes, so do your insurance needs, says the Insurance Information Institute (I.I.I.). Now is the perfect time to get your insurance policy in order by taking the time to ask yourself the following:

Is my home covered for its full rebuilding cost?

Review your policy to make sure that you have enough insurance to rebuild your home. If you have made major improvements to your home, such as adding a new room, enclosing a porch or expanding a kitchen or bathroom, you risk being underinsured if you don’t adjust your homeowner’s insurance coverage limits.

Do I have enough coverage for expensive items?

Have you bought or received any valuable jewelry since you purchased/renewed your policy? When was the last time you had the items you owned appraised? Standard homeowners insurance has dollar limits for the theft of certain types of expensive items like jewelry, furs and silverware. This means that the insurer will only pay the amount specified in the policy – generally $1,000 to $2,000. To insure these items to their full dollar value, consider a special personal property endorsement or floater.

Do I have enough liability insurance to fully protect my assets?

Standard homeowner’s liabilities pay for judgments against you and your legal fees up to a limit set in the policy. However, in our litigious society, you may want to have additional protection—that’s what an umbrella liability policy provides. An umbrella policy kicks in when you reach the limit on the underlying liability coverage in a homeowner’s, renter’s, condo, or auto policy. If your assets have recently increased, you’ll have more to lose and may want to consider this extra layer of protection.

Should I rent out my house during the vacation period?

Whether you own a second home that you plan to lease to a tenant, or want to rent out your primary residence, the first step is to call your insurance professional. Depending on the rental scenario, your standard homeowner’s policy may not cover losses incurred while your home is rented out. In that case, you should consider a more specialized insurance policy